Each week during the lockdown, Football SA will be holding a Coaches Workshop, with different themes and guest speakers every week.
Want to join us? Download Zoom and click this link from 5.45 pm on Monday nights!
To access the workshop on the night please use the Zoom link below.
Meeting ID: 954 0218 3020
Week One: Video Analysis
Guest presenters on the night included former The New Saints (Welsh Premier League) - Video Analyst Ben Bate, who outlined how the club used video analysis to establish their ‘playing model’ and integrated new players into the squad ahead of Champions League Qualifiers.
Week Two: Learning From Local Experts
In week two, we teamed up with three high-profile local SA coaches to deliver a live Q & A forum where they shared their own coaching knowledge.
Discussion topic included:
- Match analysis procedures with Adelaide Comets Coach, Barney Smith
- Integrating youth players into a senior performance environment with Adelaide United FC Coach, Paul Pezos.
- Staffing structures and management processes with Campbelltown City Technical Director, Joe Mullen.
Week Three: Harnessing The Power Of Play
Week Three's topic investigated how coaches can “harness the power of play” to increase learning on a training night and how to structure “home play” challenges to further engage players.
Our guest presenter was former Plymouth Argyle’s Academy coach Dan Cooke, who is currently completing a PhD in “movement skill development within primary school-aged children”.
Week Four: Strength And Conditioning with Eleni Vosnakis
In Week Four, we were delighted to welcome Adelaide United W-League Strength and Conditioning Coach, Eleni Vosnakis. She touched upon:
- A background into Football Periodisation
- How to apply a holistic approach
- Practical application of using a Football Conditioning Model - Conditioning consideration for female athletes.
Week Five: Harnessing The Power of Futsal
This Monday night workshop focussed on "Harnessing the Power of Futsal" and discussion areas on the night will include:
- The power of Futsal for junior players
- The influence of Futsal on player development - A South American perspective
- Integrating Futsal within a Football club environment
Guest Speakers included Football SA Technical Director Girls/Women's, Cristiano Dos Santos, and Community Coach, Cameron Grieves.
Week Six: Maximising Learning During The Skill Acquisition Phase
On the night we were be joined by Steven Dillion - Melbourne Victory FC Pre-Academy Coordinator who will outline the following:
- The MVFC SAP program & coaching curriculum
- Use of arrival activities & framing before training
- The MVFC Skill Acquisition Coaching Methodology
Steven oversees the leadership of a key junior football development programme for the club, managing a number of local, regional, interstate and international development opportunities for players aged 8-15. Steven helps to facilitate positive learning experiences for player development and coach development and assists with providing an aspirational environment for everyone involved.
Week Seven: Returning To Play | Coaches Considerations
This week’s Monday night workshop was focussed on 'Return To Training - Coaching Considerations' associated with The Australian Institute Of Sport (AIS) Framework For Rebooting Sport In A Covid-19 Environment
Focus areas included:
- An overview of the ‘training protocol’
- Managing training workloads to mitigate injury risk.
- Designing age-appropriate activities align with the AIS Level B Framework.
- Session structures
- Phase of development
- Maintaining game realism
For all Football SA resources relating to 'Returning To Train', head to https://www.footballsa.com.au/return-to-training-hub